June 24, 2012

Mushroom Salad with Lemon Dressing


Five days into Summer and it is freaking cold...Mother Nature must be really mad at somebody. Sure hope it's not me!
Well, I'm not about to let a little freak of nature frigidness stop me from dragging out the barbecue, grilling up a bountiful & tender Tri-tip and fixing a few fresh side dishes to accompany.  I immediately decided that it would be smart of me to share an unsophisticated dish with you at some point so I don't lose your interest....my "fanciness" gene kicks in a little to much sometimes. {hey- at least I can admit I have a problem!}

I figured one of my most favorite salads was a perfect fit for the simplicity of Summer.  This mushroom & cheese salad is basically just that--and came about long ago by my obsession with it from a bistro that I used to frequent.  It has been closed for years so I did my best to recreate their amazing version and I think I came pretty darn close. At least close enough to tempt my taste buds and hopefully yours. 

Just be sure you only use enough mixed greens to make an appearance on the plate--no sense in overshadowing the mushrooms and tanginess of the cheese.

Minimalism at its best.


Have a Splendid Day!
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Ingredients for Mushroom Salad with Lemon Dressing


1 Lb White Button Mushrooms
1 Cup Jarlsberg Cheese, grated
1/4 Cup Italian Flat-Leaf Parsley, chopped
1 Cup Mixed Greens, roughly chopped
2 Lemons
Zest of 1 Lemon
1 1/2 Tsp. Sugar
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Pepper

Directions

Remove stems from mushrooms and discard.  Rinse mushroom caps in a strainer with water and then gently rub any excess dirt off with a paper towel. Dry thoroughly. Thinly slice mushrooms so they are 1/4" thick or less.

Layer a shallow salad bowl or platter with the mixed greens.  Layer a third of the mushrooms and cheese over the greens. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.Continue to layer with mushrooms, cheese, salt & pepper two more times until you have used them all.  Sprinkle all of the parlsey over the top of the salad. 

To make the dressing; zest 1 lemon into a small bowl.  Squeeze both lemons into the bowl to gather all of their juices {be sure not to get any seeds}.  Dissolve sugar into lemon juice & zest.  Whisk in olive oil quickly to emulsify.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate 20 minutes. 

When ready to serve the salad, whisk the lemon dressing and pour over the salad. Lightly toss to cover all mushrooms with dressing.  Crack a generous amount of black pepper over the top.

Serves 4







No comments:

Post a Comment