April 12, 2012

Caprese Pasta


Pasta is my most favorite thing to eat.

  It's in my blood and my heart.  It's absolutely amazing to me how fresh & simple of a dish you can create with pasta and a handful of ingredients, most of which you typically always have on-hand as staple items.

....And I am in love with this pasta.  I may be in trouble a little later when my hubby comes home and realizes I made it for lunch today without him. I do adore him too, although it's a tough call.
 Uh-oh.  Let's just keep this between you and me.

Caprese Salad is a pretty standard Italian-restaurant menu item, and frequents my household table often in the summertime.  You can't really get good tomatoes until then {at least good enough to eat raw}, so I threw this together and I must say...it's yummy!  All of the traditional flavors are there, and a few surprise guests as well.  I will explain that in a second....




Ok...so see the oranges, lemon and zest?  I know, I know.  A bit strange, but if you think about it...some caprese salad use balsamic vinegar which is acidic and instead, I think the acidity from the citrus is far better.  Quite fabulous and the freshness that you get from it is kind of like walking through a farmer's market on a crisp, cool morning.




This is a super quick sauce to make on the stove while your pasta is boiling.  Be sure to save some of the liquid { about 1/4 cup of pasta water} to throw in here at the end for a little extra flavor and to make the sauce stretch farther.  I sprinkled some of the parmesan in right after this, and saved the mozzarella until it was all mixed together in the bowl for the "melt-effect". 


As an after thought, I realized it would have been totally fun to add in some lightly grilled sourdough crostini-croutons to make it more of a Bruschetta Caprese Pasta.  Go for it if you desire and let me know how it was!

Enjoy!

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●
 Ingredients for Caprese Pasta
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Clove Garlic, Minced {or 1 Tbsp Garlic Puree}
1/4 Cup Pinot Grigio
Zest & Juice of 1 Lemon
Zest & Juice of 1 Large Orange
4-6 Basil Leaves, rolled up and sliced {chiffonade style}
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese, plus more for sprinkling
1 Boccocini Mozzarella Ball {drained from water}, torn into small pieces
2 Large Ripe Tomatoes, chopped {I used Heirloom}
About 1/4 Cup Reserved Pasta Water
8-10oz Pasta {I used multi-colored Farfalle}

Directions
Heat olive oil in saucepan on stove over medium heat. Add tomato paste and garlic, heat about 1 minute.  Add white wine, lemon & orange juice and zest, & basil.  Simmer about 3 or 4 minutes.  Add in chopped tomatoes and 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese & stir until cheese is melted in. Reduce heat to low.
Cook Pasta Al Dente according to package directions.  Take about 1/4 cup of liquid from the pasta water and add to your Caprese Sauce.  Stir well and add salt & pepper.
Toss sauce together with cooked pasta.  If you feel like you need a little more sauce add a small amount more of pasta water into the freshly tossed pasta.  Stir in pieces of mozzarella and sprinkle with more parmesan cheese. 
Garnish with more Basil & Serve.
Serves 2















3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous pasta dish and an even more beautiful blog!! Consider me your newest follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I've been admiring your blog for some time now, so I'm so excited to see you here!

      Delete
  2. i love italian food so much! but i end up too often just having pasta with tomatoes, so i'm mostly adding something like zucchini or capers for a different taste. the wine is a good idea...

    i really love the photos on your blog!

    ReplyDelete