April 2, 2012

Welcome to my Kitchen!

Welcome to my kitchen...and my love affair with food!  I am a 30-something housewife and have been experimenting with tasting, eating and cooking long before I became such a 'grown-up'.  Mud pies {yes, real mud}, Bisquick pancakes and lots of random cookie dough concoctions were among some of my first trials--some more well received than others :).  And then one day, I picked up a Bon Appetit magazine and it was love at first sight. I was fascinated  by the bold & vivid colors, the light & fresh flavors that were peeking out of each dish, and of course, the fact that not a single recipe required mud.  From that point on, I did my best to mimic those enticing recipes for any guinea pig I could find, self-teaching techniques and designing my own style along the way.  Move forward several years....and here we are today.  I'm so excited to to share this new blog with you where I can pass on my creations as well as some of my favorites from others. I encourage you to indulge with me as we fashion some Splendor in the Kitchen!

Now on to my very first post ;-)

Potato-Kale Soup with Jarlsberg


So, I can't exactly take credit for this bowl of deliciousness {it came from my Mom, who got it from her best friend, who found it in Cooking Light magazine a few years back}, however, I have enhanced it quite a bit and even my kids slurp up every last drop.  The ingredients are super fresh, and this is the simplest soup I've ever met.


Need I say more? Add a little salt & pepper and some red pepper flakes {if you love a little kick like me}, and Voila! This soup is perfect for a spring evening like tonight {the sun seriously can't decide whether or not to stay & play or bury under a fluffy duvet cover}, where it goes back and forth from warm to cold.  I hope you find this as heart-warming as my family and I do. Enjoy!

________________________________________________________________________


Potato-Kale Soup with Jarlsberg


2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 Shallot, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
8 Cups Organic Chicken Broth
1 {28oz package} Unpeeled  Honeygold Potatoes, or 4 Cups Yukon Gold Potatoes, washed and chopped into ¼” pieces
2 Bay Leaves
Salt & Pepper, to taste
3 Sweet Italian Sausages, removed from casing, crumbled and cooked until no longer pink
6 Cups Kale, purple or green {cut out rib/stalk and discard}
½ Cup Grated Jarlsberg Cheese
¼ tsp Red Pepper Flakes


Heat olive oil in large stockpot and sauté shallot until tender, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, cook 30 seconds stirring constantly. Stir in broth, potatoes, salt & pepper to taste and bay leaf. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes until potato is tender. Stir in cooked sausage and kale. Cover and simmer another 10 minutes or until kale is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve topped with cheese & red pepper flakes.  Serves 4





1 comment:

  1. This looks fabulous! With almost all the ingredients at home, I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete