April 28, 2012

Herb Roasted Turkey Breast


This has been a seriously crazy week... I don't even know how I'm still going and it's far too late for a glass of wine. Or is it? Not only did I cater/cook lunch all week for a small group of 4 {and no that doesn't count my kids and husband}, but I actually catered a group of 1200 people in 1 hour for my real job! I don't take credit as the Chef on that one but being on the design and coordination end was perhaps just as stressful :)

 Deep breath. 

Lucky for me, I knew what an eventful week it would be, and thought ahead on Sunday as to preparing school lunches all week for the kiddos. 

Quite possibly, it could have just been that I was more so annoyed at the deli department in the grocery store because they refuse to staff more than 1 person to meet the cheese & meat needs of hundreds of customers, so I thought it would be a nice little trick to buy a bone-in turkey breast and roast it myself.

 AND, I totally scored in the end because my 2 1/2 lb piece of meat cost $8 which  only 1-lb of sliced deli meat would have been the same and been chocked full of nitrates.  

Fancy Schmancy.


Even better, you can use whatever herbs you love or have on-hand for a quick rub. I used fresh rosemary from my garden and some oregano, thyme, garlic and paprika.  And of course, extra-virgin olive oil. 


Splash a little Chicken Broth in the bottom of the pan to keep the drippings from burning.

Make sure you allow the meat to rest on cutting board for at least 20 minutes before cutting into it so you get to keep all of the delicious juices.


Juicy, Juicy.

Enjoy!
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Ingredients for Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
2 1/2 lb Bone-In Turkey Breast
1 or 2 Garlic Cloves, minced {or 1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic Puree, my favorite!}
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 Tsp. Paprika {approximately}
1 Tbsp. of assorted herbs-  Fresh Rosemary, Oregano, & Thyme Chopped
1/4 Cup Chicken Broth
Salt & Pepper
Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Using a sharp knife, remove skin from the turkey breast and discard. Rub the olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs all over the breast side of the meat.  Generously sprinkle paprika, salt and pepper on top, making sure the meat is covered well in spice.
Place the turkey breast side up in a roasting pan or glass 9x13" pan. Pour the 1/4 cup of chicken broth in the bottom of the pan.  Roast in oven for 15 minutes, until the breast of the meat is turning golden-brown. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees and loosely tent the pan with aluminum foil.  Cook another 20 minutes approximately, or until the turkey reads between 155-160 degrees with a meat thermometer. 
Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest untouched in pan, still covered with foil about 20 minutes. {This will help the meat to reach proper cooking temperature without losing the natural juices.}
Carve turkey breast off the bone in quarter-inch slices.  Serve with pan juices  immediately or store in the refrigerator in a container with pan juices for up to 5 days.
Perfect on a sandwich or salad!




No comments:

Post a Comment