August 15, 2012

Orzo Salad


 Orzo is one of those tricky foods--is it a pasta?-- is it rice?  It looks exactly like a grain of rice....but it the texture is plump, chewy and 'al dente' similar to pasta.  Verdict says....it is definitely pasta!!  Which must be why I love it so much, because I know I was born with pasta streaming through my fraction of an Italian-blood. 

My mom actually dished up this deliciously hearty summer salad and sent me over the photos and recipe to share {fyi, iPhone cameras are not as good as they claim to be so my apologies}.  I believe the salad evolved from some of her besties {friends that is}, and I remember eating this sparkling side dish at many gatherings.  



For those of you lucky enough to have a garden this year {whatever you do, please don't use the words garden or deer around me!}, Orzo salad really lends itself to the vibrance of those fresh tomatoes, raw sweet corn straight off the cob and oodles of fresh parsley.  
And the burst of citrus?  YUM. 



Have a Splendid Day!
●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●
Ingredients 

Zest of 1 Lemon 
2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice 
1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Tbsp Olive Oil 
2 Tbsp Salad Oil {Almond or Canola}
Fresh Italian Parsley, Chopped {about 1/4-1/2 cup}
Summer Gold or Grape Tomatoes, sliced lengthwise 
Raw Corn on the Cob {about 2 ears}, sliced off cob

1/2 Box Orzo Pasta, cooked according to directions, drained & rinsed 

Directions 

Whisk together lemon zest, juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, olive oil and salad oil.  

In a serving bowl, toss together cooked and cooled orzo, tomatoes, corn and parsley.  You may adjust to your preference by adding more or less vegetables and parsley.  Toss salad with dressing. If desired, garnish with more parsley and edible flowers.  Serve immediately or refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving. 

Serves 4-6  




No comments:

Post a Comment